Recent drops in energy use and the rapid uptake of solar PV have led to growing concerns among energy utilities that customers will abandon the grid leading to a 'utility death spiral'. But smart utilities are increasingly viewing efficiency, solar and batteries as a business opportunity.
Ecologic have developed a web-based platform to help utilities offer their customers a comprehensive energy service, including energy efficiency, solar PV and battery storage.
How it works
- the utility (or a third party) contacts customers and provides an energy audit and retrofit assessment
- a personally tailored portfolio of energy saving measures is offered to the customer at no upfront cost
- product and service providers are sub-contracted to install building performance improvements, energy efficient appliances, solar PV and/or batteries at the property as a cost-effective bulk procurement
- the package of measures is then repaid using on-bill financing, with repayments offset by bill savings
Source: Rocky Mountain Institute
As distinct from conventional energy advice / audit service models, this approach allows you to deliver affordable, scalable and measurable impacts on the ground.
- Affordable: our product is offered to utilities based on an annual subscription that scales with the number of customers, with costs typically less than one tenth of the cost of conventional energy audit programs
- Scalable: the Ecologic platform can offer an efficient mass-scale energy service using several key innovations including 'crowd-sourced' self auditing, viral social media sharing, 'Uber-style' peer-to-peer local contractor dispatching and bulk procurement / financing
- Measurable: the Ecologic platform tracks the progress of projects arising from audits from initial commitment, through to completion and provides real-time tracking data on the energy, bill and greenhouse gas savings attributable to the campaign The end result is a win-win. Customers can install energy saving measures in their property at no upfront cost. And utilities grow and diversify their business while improving customer satisfaction.
Enabling features of the platform include:
- rapidly collecting energy audit data either on the web, over the phone or face-to-face using a mobile device and storing it in a central cloud-based database
- running a set of physics-based simulations of the energy consumption of the property subject to a range of building, appliance, behavioural, and tariff scenarios
- identifying a portfolio of energy saving measures tailored to the unique conditions of a property
- generating accurate estimates of bill savings, to ensure loan repayments are offset by bill savings
- providing a web-based clearinghouse for dispatching, monitoring and evaluating product providers
Together these innovations enable energy audits and retrofits to be delivered at scale with minimal transaction costs.
To arrange a product demonstration contact email@example.com.